The University of Michigan Department of Anesthesiology is pleased to once again host the Midwest Anesthesia Residents Conference April 4-6, 2014 at the Downtown Chicago Marriott Magnificent Mile. Although this letter is written in September, it is not too early for you and your MARC Coordinators to begin planning for the activities and deadlines associated with this conference.
The website for the 2014 MARC will go live on October 1, 2013. In the meantime, please note the following:
1. Now is the time to make your residents aware of the conference and the website and encourage them to participate by submitting case reports and research (both clinical and basic science) abstracts. The categories for presentations can be found on the "Abstracts" tab of the MARC website. We have added an "airway" category this year and have also definitely the absolute latest that a presentation will be accepted.
2. All clinical and basic science research presentations will be a poster presentation, while case reports will be an oral presentation.
3. There will be prizes for the best posters and oral presentations in all categories with top prizes being sponsored by FAER and IARS.
4. There will be a meeting on Friday, April 4, 2014 of Midwest Chairs, Chief Residents, and Program Directors.
5. The Saturday Luncheon Keynote speaker will be James Bagian, MD, a NASA Space Shuttle Veteran Astronaut, a national and international expert and leader on Patient Safety and Team Communication Skills.
6. Saturday night will be a limited reception so that attendees can enjoy the many restaurants and other venues of downtown Chicago.
7. Sunday will have three workshops: The Difficult Airway, Risk Management, and Finding the Right Practice.
We have had outstanding Industry support for our MARC meetings and MARC 2014 will be no exception. Attendees will have the opportunity to interact with Industry representatives both at a Friday night reception and throughout the day on Saturday.
We look forward to seeing you in April!
Robert B. Sweet Professor and Chair
Associate Chair for Clinical Affairs
– Pediatric Anesthesia,
Pediatric Anesthesia Service Chief,
Uma and Suit Pandit Professor
of Pediatric Anesthesia
Clinical Assistant Professor